Search the forum:

rice disappears

As my students are using the site, they find their rice totals both increase and decrease. They have entire bowls disappear. What is happening?

41 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JulieJulie shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Team FreericeAdminTeam Freerice (Admin, Freerice) responded  · 

Hi,

Our apologies. The developers are aware of this glitch and are working to resolve it!

The problem seems connected to cookies and a database overload, with cookies being deleted so that the subject resets to the default (English vocabulary).

They are working to resolve this as soon as possible.

In the meantime, if your students register their totals will be stored permanently.

Team Freerice.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Team FreericeAdminTeam Freerice (Admin, Freerice) commented  · 

Hi Mrs Melle,

The totals not calculating could be due to a number of reasons - can you let us know if they are logged in or not? If they are logged in, please ensure they each have individual login details as a shared login will trigger the system into identifying them as bots and freeze totals.

If the rice count increases on the profile total, it is permanent. However, the rice under the bowl while not logged is temporary for that session on your screen. It is permanent in our database and goes towards the grand total, and never lost. In this way we have already raised sufficient to feed almost 5 million people.

We have had ongoing bugs since launching, due to the size of the site - we have over a million players every month, but as a nonprofit and a small team, we struggle to manage the popularity of the site and do the best that we can. However, previous bugs are not related to this same problem.

The site is legitimate - it is owned and managed by the World Food Programme (WFP) a United Nations agency that is held responsible by procedures to ensure transparency and accountability!

We do appreciate you not only taking time to raise rice, but to write to us about your concerns so that we can improve the site. Please do let us know the responses to the opening questions we posted above, as this will best help us to help you!

Many thanks,
        Team Freerice

• Mrs. MelleMrs. Melle commented  · 

My student's totals are not calculating?
        Are these rice tallys accurate if the numbers are not totaling correctly?
        Does this rice really help to feed these 3rd world countries?
        This problem was happening 1 year ago...it continues?
        Is this site legitimate?

• shakar labshakar lab commented  · 

Mine have been disappearing also.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Our rice is disappearing too. We're supposed to track it for a school project, but it will suddenly subtract 30-40 "grains" at a time, then go back to adding appropriately for awhile, then drop another pile off the total. Very confusing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base